Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Old Mexican Lady

There is an old woman that lives on a corner that I pass, in and out of my house. She is usually out front of her house in the evening, wearing an apron.

I can imagine that she has worked hard cooking and cleaning all day. I imagine that her relaxation is stepping outside, seeing who is around, being a part of the world and stopping to enjoy life.

She looks like an old woman. Not just an old Mexican woman but an old woman. It is truly amazing to me how babies all look like beautiful babies and how old women look like old women, regardless of nationality or status in life.

But this woman is special.

I don't remember when I first started waving to her as I passed, but it has been awhile now. When I wave at her, she waves back but when she waves, she gives me a present.

She smiles.

Her smile is so full of warmth and love and pure happiness. She makes me smile every time I see her. Her smile is missing teeth so it is not that she is outwardly beautiful, although I am sure she was stunning when she was younger. Her smile just makes the world ok.

I look for her every time I drive past and sometimes she has been busy with whoever she is talking to, to notice my driving by. I am sure that I am not as important to her day as she is to mine.

When she doesn't see me or isn't there for me, I truly miss her. I was watching an interview and a story was shared about a famous movie star from a long time ago, forgive me I can't remember his name. The story was about a child who 's bedroom window overlooked a train station and how this child connected with a man on the train, where they waved and connected, even though they never met. The end of the story talked about how some people come into your life and you truly connect heart to heart but you never really know them.

That is this woman to me.

No comments: