Friday, September 19, 2008

El Sarape Restaurant in Ajijic

Normally I don't eat like a Mexican and by that I mean, I still eat like I did in Canada with the main meal of my day being at dinner in the evening. But today I was really hungry at lunchtime so we went out for big lunch at El Sarape.

El Sarape in on the main road, the carreterra, on the west end of Ajijic. The food is phenomenal and although they call it tex mex I think its truly Mexican.

Today I had my first Tamale, with green corn chili. I have seen them made on the food channel on tv but I had never had one. It cost 18 pesos (generally we divide by 10 to get the equivalent North of the Border price so = $1.80) I assumed at that price I wouldn't be full so I ordered a torn beef crispy taco as well.

My daughter and her friend were my companions for our lunch (dinner) and between them, they ordered 2 soft tacos of beef, 1 crispy chicken taco and a chimichanga. At just about every single restaurant in Mexico, you are served salsa and tacos when you sit down.

The chimichanga was huge with Mexican cheese and guacamole on top (most of that came home although I took about 1/4 of it to taste of course).

The crispy tacos I am afraid to admit, are deep fried, but man oh man are they good. It is NOTHING like our taco shells bought from the store in a box and then made at home. Nothing from NOB (north of the border) tastes anything like real Mexican food.

Then we were encouraged to have a piece of El Sarape cake which is a rich dark moist cake made with oatmeal (so it had to be healthy right) and topped with a nuts and coconut in sugar sauce. So amazingly good. But now I am so incredibly stuffed - which makes you understand why if you eat like that in the middle of the day, why it would be your main meal of the day.

Oh and I forgot to mention, with all that food, deserts and homemade lemonade and orangeade, the bill was 240 pesos ($24 dollars - you couldn't eat for 3 at McDonalds at that price - let alone be full)

I love eating here!!!

No comments: