Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Telmex Phone Bill

Yesterday I went and paid the phone bill at Telmex. It was the 22nd of the month and the bill was due on the 24th. Here in Mexico there is no credit or grace period. If the bill is due on the 24th and it's not paid until a couple of days after, do not expect to have your service still operational.

When I was there and waiting in line, there was a woman trying to pay someone else's bill. Apparently from what I was able to hear, the person who's phone bill she was paying was up north. She had arranged for Lloyd's bank to pay her bills when she was out of the country and it was missed. So her phone and internet were cut off. When she inquired as to how long it would be until the service was repaired, seeing as she was paying now, she was told - 20 minutes. I bet she wouldn't make it home before the service was repaired. What a great way to reduce your accounts receivable.

My bill was about 670 pesos and that includes my local phone, internet service and a charge for my Dad's old cell phone. You still have to load minutes on the phone as it is a pay as you go but for some reason there is this 10 peso charge every month. One day I will figure it out but not today.

The other thing that really stuck out in my mind was I was there in my shorts and tank top or tshirt, don't really remember which, and every man who worked there was in a starched white shirt, with an undershirt underneath and a tie. How on earth could they look so clean and neat in this heat? Will I ever climatize and be able to wear long sleeved shirts?

But nowhere in Canada when you went to the phone center would you find someone looking like an office professional serving you. They truly show respect for everything here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

if your interested i know of an awesome service that saves me alot of money when i go out of the country. the service is called marque directo. it turns international numbers into local numbers. so you could call your family in the U.S by dialing a local mexico number. its way cheaper than anything else ive used. just thought id pass on the information to someone who could use it.

the site is www.marquedirecto.com