Tuesday, September 30, 2008

What Aama Ate today

I know I shouldn't post this but I just can't help myself. My grandmother is 94 years old and in relatively good health. She has minor things wrong like her hearing and she requires a walker for her balance. But other than that, healthy.

The doctors tell us to eat 5-8 servings of fruit and veggies a day. A DAY, to remain healthy and live a long life. We need water to remain hydrated and make our organs work properly. Right?

Well I just went to see my grandmother and she was eating pasta (plain) and rice (white boiled) with fried bacon. That is her main meal of the day. When I teased her about it, she said she had a piece of celery with cheez whiz on it and she can't eat vegetables every day. That translates to she can't eat 1 serving of veggies a day. She may get into her system 3 -5 servings a week.

So how is it possible that she is 94 and relatively healthy? She defies all the rules.

So if I come from her, and her genes are in my gene pool, why do I gain weight if I look at food? And then get sick if I eat the wrong things? Why can't I eat pasta and chocolate as my diet?

If only life were fair. Sigh!!

No comments: