Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Butcher in San Juan Cosola Mexico

When my parents came up to Canada for my paternal grandmother's funeral three years ago, my mother was determined to eat and enjoy everything that she was unable to eat here in Mexico. We had Prime Rib roast beef with yorkshire pudding (my speciality) veggies and horseradish three times in a week and half. We had lobster only once. That should show you how much a good roast beef meant to my mother.

Growing up we had the traditional Sunday night dinner. It was always a roast of some kind. Usually prime rib or pork with crispy rind or whole roasted chicken was the item served. It was comfort food and at the time sometimes felt boring. Imagine being able to say and truly mean it - "Oh No not Prime Rib roast beef and yorkshire pudding again"

I believed my mother's opinion of what life was like in Mexico and I have not gone out of my way to prove her wrong or that things are changing here. I mentioned in a previous post that my mother felt that the schooling here was not up to par and that has been proven incorrect.

Looks like I may have just stumbled upon another thing that has progressed here in Mexico. Friends of my parents, who I am happy to say have become my friends, Rosemary and Bob, sent us an email about a great butcher shop in San Juan Cosola. I dropped in today and asked about the products there. Bob assured me that you could not only get an amazing aged Prime Rib and a pork roast with the rind, but anything else you may want as well.

He took me over there because I don't know the area and introduced me to the butcher (or his brother - not sure). I bought a couple of thick tenderloin steaks, 2 kilo's of split pork ribs and 3 thick pork chops for 120 pesos. I will let you know how they turned out but if they taste as good as they look we will be making the drive again.

Oh and for those who read my post regularily, I mentioned my bra issue to Rosemary and she helped me out. YEAH!! Thank you. I love handmedowns. They always thrill me.

No comments: