Thursday, October 9, 2008

Cops in Ajijic Mexico

Today I went to the insurance agent with my little piece of paper that the previous insurance agent gave. I was told that this little piece of paper would allow the insurance on both sides to argue it out, without the driver or me involved. So off I went.

I was I admit a bit distracted while I was driving because of a potential offer on our house that may be coming through and I was driving without my seatbelt. As I was turning left off the carreterra onto the libremento to get to the insurance agent, a cop from the opposite direction honked at me. I thought he saw my seatbelt off and I immediately put it on while looking in my rear view mirror to see if he had turned around. He hadn't so I kept going on my way taking it as a friendly reminder.

I pulled into the insurance office and guess who pulled in behind me? He wished me a buenos dias and told me that I was not allowed to turn left at that corner without the green arrow. I apologized and said that I had thought it was an advance and I could turn when safe.

I provided my licence, my ownership in my fathers name (which a lawyer said I was able to drive because I was immediate family) and my insurance. He asked for my dad's import papers which I have no idea where it is, some things I just can't find and that is one of them. He told me he was taking the car from me and once I had this paper, then I could pay the fines and get the car back.

At this point, all that I have gone through and all the stress came pouring out. I began hysterically crying and hyperventilating. I couldn't breathe and was making a scene but I couldn't control myself. How on earth would I survive here with a child and an elderly person with no car?

It turned out that a little grease was all he needed to go away and I greased alot. I would have in that moment emptied my purse for him just to make the situation go away.

It turns out that he was not allowed to do that and I could report him to his boss but I am not sure if that will keep him away from me or if it will make him harass me. Driving a big red Lincoln is not a car that remains under the radar, anywhere.

What a couple of days. Days like this you wonder what you are doing and just want to run home and hide under the sheets. Or run to your mom and have her give you a big hug. But none of that is possible for me, so I will just go to sleep and try to get my strength back.

No comments: