Sunday, September 21, 2008

Grocery Shopping at Soriana in Chapala

I just took my grandmother grocery shopping at Soriana's in Chapala, the next town about 10 minutes away. We both bought quite a bit of food although my groceries don't last as long as her between a growing 10 year old and myself.

I bought yogurts, cheese, meat, juice, fruit and veggies, soap, conditioner ( have you noticed how you need to buy conditioner a lot faster than the shampoo?) and all sorts of other goodies. My bill came to 670 pesos (about $67).

My grandmother did the same but added a bottle of vodka (she buys a large bottle for 59 pesos - remember the 10 - 1 ratio of the dollar - too cheap LOL) Her bill was about the same as mine but instead of lasting a week like mine does, her will last her about 3 weeks.

Walmart is set to open just around the corner from us - walking distance actually unless we grocery shop. It is supposed to open the end of November just in time for Christmas shopping. It is also going to be a superstore. I am curious if they are going to stock a lot of NOB (north of the border) products and what price they will be.

We have a store called Super Lake that caters to the "gringos" and has every product that we can get including the luxury items like caviar, smoked salmon and my grandmothers must have today - Cheez Whiz.

Me, I am looking forward to my smoked salmon on toast with butter, chopped red onion and dillweed. Who called this a third world country? They are crazy.

No comments: