Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Pick up Trucks in Ajijic Mexico

My daughter said it best when she said that in Canada pick up trucks carry stuff. In Mexico pick up trucks carry stuff and people in the back.

Our garbage pickup is done in a pick up truck 4 times a week. They have a crew of 3 people. One drives the truck, the other picks up the trash and the final job has a man in the bed of the pick up truck, ripping open the garbage bags and sorting the garbage based on its contents. I often wonder wouldn't it be easier and nicer if we did the sorting before it was picked up? Personally I would prefer to do the job of driving than sorting. I wonder if the sorter gets paid more? Hmmm

You see pick up trucks on the road so overloaded with their stuff that you wonder just how it doesn't tip over. They have even devised huge tarping systems to tarp large loads that need protection from the elements.

Families are often seen in the back of the trucks and it actually looks like fun. But when I see people riding in the back of pickups sitting on plastic lawn chairs, I wonder how they manage to not get hurt.

My ABSOLUTE favourite though, is the police. Whole crews of police ride in the back of pickup trucks sitting on the sides, while holding their rifles. The last police truck I saw, there were 6 officers riding like that in the back.

But when they see a foreign plated car, like mine, they drive alongside to ensure that we are wearing our seat belts. If that is not a contradiction, I don't know what is.

But I have been told numerous times, it is much easier to love Mexico than it is to understand it. So I will refrain from trying to understand but instead will just observe and appreciate.

No comments: